How to Tie the Bowline
This is classed as a classic seaman’s knot, but evidence would suggest that the Bowline dates back to pre-historic times.
At the bottom of this post I have also included a video:
- Part way along the cord form a loop
- Next insert the working end of the cord starting underneath and bring it through the loop
- You then bring the working end behind the standing end just above the loop
- Once you have gone behind the standing end pass the working end back down the loop
- Now you can tighten the knot by pulling on the loop that you have created
There is also a little saying that you can remember when creating the bowline knot.
You make a hole and then a rabbit comes up through the hole. The rabbit then runs round the back of the tree, he gets frightened, so he runs back down the hole. You have then created the bowline knot.
How to Tie the Bowline Video
How to Tie the Bowline Alternative Video