10 Reasons for Becoming a Member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers
- Being a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers (IGKT) offers several benefits, including:
- You will receive a quarterly magazine “Knotting Matter” which is Alway full of interesting information.
- Access to a Members Area on the IGKT’s website.
- Access to a community of like-minded individuals who share an interest in knot tying and the related arts.
- Opportunities to learn from experienced knot tyers through workshops, meetings, and other events.
- Access to a wealth of resources and information about knot tying, including books, videos, and online tutorials.
- The ability to participate in competitions and exhibitions, which can provide opportunities for recognition and growth.
- To share your own knowledge and skills by teaching others and contributing to the community.
- Network and make connections with other knot tyers and related professionals, which can open up new opportunities.
- Be part of a group that is dedicated to preserving and promoting traditional knot-tying skills, and to promote the use of knots in both traditional and new ways.
Why Become a Member of a Local IGKT Branch
When I first started out in the pursuit of becoming a knot tyer, I started off with a piece of rope and a copy of Ashley’s Book of Knots and beyond that, very little information about tying knots. I would search the internet for examples of knotwork, especially decorative knotwork. Although I would find some marvelous example of work, I felt often frustrated by the lack of tutorials. I did however manage to produce the odd item that I thought was pretty good. Still frustrated I started to search for more information on local branches or groups on knot tying.
Solent Branch of the IGKT
Eventually I somehow stubbled across the Solent Branch of the International Guild of Knot Tyers. Actually I found out that they were holding a weekend display at Fort Brockenhurst (I think?). So I gave them a call and they said that I could spend the day with them. Oh, and how my eyes were opened to the art of knot tying! Not only was there an excellent display of completed decorative knot work, but also everyone there seemed to be in the middle of making something. Also, each time a new person arrived with interest, they were shown how to do some form of knot. Even young children could practice something and then take it away with them.
One thing that I loved about that day with them was, not only was I able to learn something and then sadly forget it again on the way home, but most importantly I was able to handle some of the works of knotting art. I very quickly realised that my work, which I thought at the time was good, was not as good as the work I was handling.
Finding a Local Branch Near You
If you think that you would like to see if there is a local branch of the IGKT near to you, then I would suggest that you pop over to the Internation Guild of Knot Tyers Main Site. There are also flags at the bottom of the screen that you can click on to see where groups are in other countries.
Solent Branch of the IGKT Meetings
If you are not too far from Fareham, then you may want to take a look at Solent IGKT Meeting.